LAS VEGAS – Another Filipino boxing pride, Nonito Donaire won the WBO and WBC bantamweight championships Saturday night after sending Fernando Montiel to the canvass at 2:25 in the second round, making his records 26-1-0 (18 KOs). That of Montiel then became 44-3-2 (34 KOs).
The three-division world champion, Donaire was in his best shape, taking advantage of the entire fight, with the best combinations of his right and left punches that knocked Montiel down to the canvass. It was his strike on Montiel with his left hook that left the latter swinging, giving him an opportunity to throw at him another left punch that led to the end of the fight in the second round.
Donaire, known as the “Filipino Flash”, said, “I needed to be strong but it was the speed that was the key. He left himself open and that gave me the advantage. I was surprised he got up after I landed that flush shot.”
“I just came out there believing in what I had,” he said. “I want to be undisputed in this weight class, if not I want to go up in weight,” he added.
Donaire, known for his being switch-hitter with his ability to fight either southpaw or orthodox, believed he and Montiel both had the punching power to knock each other out. It was only that he, according to him, was able to make up for his first mistake in the earlier part of the fight.
Donaire is a Filipino-American professional boxer, who was born in Talibon, Bohol, Philippines but grew up in General Santos City, South Cotabato, Philippines, where he was studying in the school where the eight-world division champion, Manny Pacquiao.
- Nonito Donaire Attributes Current Underperformance to Experimentation (bleacherreport.com)
- Older, wiser, more mature Donaire ready to step out of Pacquiao’s shadow (examiner.com)
- You: Nonito Donaire vs. Jeffrey Mathebula: Fight Time, Preview, TV Info & More (bleacherreport.com)
- COMMENTARY: Donaire Odyssey: A class of his own (mindanews.com)
- Nonito Donaire Earns Another Title With Unanimous Decision Win Over Jeffrey Mathebula (blogs.sfweekly.com)
- Boxing Nation: Kahn Faces Garcia (therepublika.com)
- Donaire wins via unanimous decision over Mathebula (sports.inquirer.net)