“He is gay.”
Typically, we hear of people say it with a smirk, coupled with a whiff of disgusts and air of scorns, shrugging it off as a normal reaction, to which the American Psychological Association, better known as APA, has advocated to put a stop since 1975.
In pursuit of its advocacy, APA called on psychologists to take the lead in removing the stigma attached to lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations and came up with a sixteen-page pamphlet that will help lay people understand sexual orientation and gender identity.
The pamphlet is replete with the following:
· What is sexual orientation? · How do people know if they are lesbian, gay, or bisexual? · What causes a person to have particular sexual orientation? · What role do prejudice and discrimination play in the lives of lesbian, gay and bisexual people? · What is the psychological impact of prejudice and discrimination? · Is homosexuality a mental disorder?· What about therapy intended to change sexual orientation from gay to straight? · What is “coming out” and why is it important? · What about sexual orientation and coming out during adolescence? · At what age should lesbian, gay, or bisexual youths come out? · What is the nature of same-sex relationships? · What can people do to diminish prejudice and discrimination against lesbian, gay, and bisexual people?
If you want to know more about sexual orientation and homosexuality, you may go see a psychologist in the APA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns Office at 750 First Street, NE, Washington DC 20002, or in the Mental Health America (formerly the National Mental Health Association) at 2000 N. Beauregard Street, 6th Floor, Alexandira, VA 22311 or contact them at (703) 684-7722, (800) 969-6MHA (6642), (800) 433-5959, or (703) 684-5968.
In the Philippines and any other countries, there are no identified specific offices that cater to concerns of lesbians, gays and bisexuals. However, you may go see a psychologist of your own choice in your respective countries.
- Bullying Among Children and Youth on Perceptions and Differences in Sexual Orientation (education.com)
- Being Gay: A Coming Out Story. We Each Have Our Own. (mysteryxthoughts.wordpress.com)
- The true north LGBT: New poll reveals landscape of gay Canada (news.nationalpost.com)
- Bisexuals More Apt To Drink Heavily Than Straights, Gays (lezgetreal.com)
- Dr. Nicholas Cummings Attacks the APA, Compares Gays To Drug Users (lezgetreal.com)
- Praising the Work of Gay and Lesbian Rights Defenders (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Catholic and Other Faith Schools and Homophobic Bullying – ‘Must Do Much Better’ (queeringthechurch.com)
- (Gu)Estimating the size of the LGBT population (familyinequality.wordpress.com)
- Guyana bows to UN pressure, moves to abolish Death Penalty (kaieteurnewsonline.com)
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Questioning Adolescents: Victimization, Belonging, Safety and the … (education.com)